Friday, February 2, 2007
Are There Cliff Notes?
From the rollout of "Soldier Handbook: Surviving Iraq", the Army's new "how to" manual designed to help grunts make it past the increased casualty rate of the first 100 days of a unit's deployment:
Among other recommendations, many Soldiers recommended:
- Staying aware of their surroundings,
- Listening to their leaders,
- Avoiding routine or predictable patterns,
- Following standard operating procedures, and
- Using protective gear and armored vehicles.
The handbook will be made available in paper format this month.
Just in time for the Surge.
Update: Something just jumped out at me on a re-read. How do you manage to avoid routine patterns while following standard operating procedures?